The Brotherhood Remnant

rem·nant n. 1. Something left over; a remainder. 2. A piece of fabric remaining after the rest has been used or sold. 3. A surviving trace or vestige: a remnant of his past glory. 4. A small surviving group of people. "Unless the LORD of hosts had left to us a very small remnant, we would have become like Sodom, we would have been made like Gomorrah" - Isaiah 1:9 (KJV)

Monday, April 17, 2006

Famous Trustee: Jimmy Carter

Did you know Jimmy Carter was a trustee of the Brotherhood Commission in the 1970s? Here's a passage from "From Politics to Poetics" by the former President where he mentions the Commission:

"Having studied typing and shorthand in high school, I did my own stenographic work on a portable typewriter during weekends at home. When it was finished, I called some small publishers in Georgia, none of whom would print the book. Finally, Broadman Press in Nashville looked at a few chapters and agreed to publish it. They print all the Southern Baptist literature, and I had some influence with them as a member of the Baptists' Brotherhood Commission. There was no thought of an author's advance, but I received a percentage of the volumes printed. I gave these to potential political supporters and sold a few at my early political rallies." Read the entire article by President Carter here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home